Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Once in a lifetime...

Let's see we've got a few days to catch up on here so let's jump right in...On Monday I made a tactical strike into Indiana to visit IU since I've applied to a PhD program there. On my way back to Kentucky to continue my sightseeing I passed through the town of French Lick, hometown of Boston Celtics legend, Larry Bird. Now you know I've never had anything good to say about Boston sports so this one is for you my Boston friends! Don't expect this to ever, ever happen again!


If you need a frame of reference check out this clip from the video NBA Superstars that I grew up watching over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6vhjKijcg

On Tuesday I was back in Kentucky and took the Jim Beam tour. I thought the most interesting part (besides the tasting at the end) was the trees on the property.


If you look closely you'll see they are black. It's from a fungus that tends to grow when fermentation is going on nearby, something about alcohol vapor helping it grow. Black trees like these would often give away the location of stills to Revenue Agents during Prohibition. Speaking of trees, can anyone identify the ones in the photo below? I've seen them all over the Southeast from Mississippi to West Virginia.


Ok that's all for now. Visiting West Virginia University tomorrow then on to Jersey!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Eric, Despite being pink, their name is "Redbud" and you'll be seeing LOTS of these beauties in NC. They grow all down the east coast.

    ReplyDelete