Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco

Continuing our first ever Mark Twain week, I bring to you Twain’s most famous (alleged) quote about our fair city by the bay. “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.” Well, today is the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year, the first day of summer, and this time (sorry Mark) it should feel like it with sunny skies and temps in the 80s. 

This could hardly be considered winter at all! That’s good news for many San Franciscans because we just came out of the coldest winter we’ve ever spent – a winter in San Francisco. We saw record breaking rainfall in The City and corresponding snow in the Sierras. In Yosemite, Tioga Road only opened this past weekend and the Half Dome cables are finally going up tomorrow. Rumor has it Squaw Valley is going to be open for the 4th of July weekend.  It was much talked about but the first snow since 1976 did not fall on San Francisco this year. However, one day in February shortly after moving to Baker Beach I couldn’t believe my eyes when I looked out the window and did in fact see snow capped mountains. 


About 10 inches fell on Mt. Tam which stands about 2,500 feet above the bay. If I had it to do again I’d have called in sick and gone exploring. So today my friends, I pledge to you that this summer I will not sit idly by and let such unique opportunities slip past me as I did this winter. It’s the return of the Summer of Eric! I'll catch you later because I'm off to bike in the Marin Headlands.

1 comment:

  1. I am waiting for my bbq invite.That would represent the summer of Eric.

    ReplyDelete